All CMS Medicare-certified hospices are required to complete and submit a Hospice Item Set (HIS) Admission record and a HIS-Discharge record for patient admissions on or after July 1, 2014.
HIS record completion and submission is ongoing according to these timeframes:
• Hospices have 14 days from admission to complete HIS-Admission records and 7 days from discharge to complete HIS-Discharge records.
• Hospices have 30 days from a patient admission or discharge to submit the appropriate HIS record for that patient.
At this time, hospices should be preparing to submit HIS records for patient admissions in early July, or may have already submitted completed HIS records to the QIES ASAP system.
Hospices should note that the following are the most common data submission errors encountered by hospices that have started submitting HIS records:
• 902: Invalid XML (invalid file name extension)
• 904: Invalid XML (invalid structure or tags too long)
• 907: Duplicate Record
• 3020a: Invalid FAC ID
• 3022: Required Items Missing
Additional information about these types of errors can be found in Section 5 of the Hospice Submission User’s Guide.
The CMS HIS Website contains useful materials including the HIS training manual and the Final HIS Data Specifications. In addition, hospices may want to review the Hospice Training Modules available at www.qtso.com.